Backup Boyfriend

The Backup Boyfriend - River Jaymes
4.25*

I admit I was wrong. ( try and keep it together people)
I thought this book would be a regular GFY trope. Alec would fall for the 'straight' guy and pine for him and the unfairness of it all. Dylan would, after an internal war with himself realize that he's actually 'gay', at least for Alec. The ex would be an asshat and be miserable after letting Alec get away. Like I said, I was wrong.

I found this story to be so much more.

Yes Alec, a genius with a photographic memory is clumsy and slightly clueless with his motorcycle ( a-I'm-making-a-big-change-since-my-boyfriend-left-me kind of motorcycle) so his friend Noah sends him to Dylan for help.
Dylan is a rough and tumble kind a guy at first glance, but seeing and feeling the difference between what comes out of his mouth compared to what is happening in his heart made me fall for him myself.
It all does start out as a kind of payback for Tyler, although it's really Dylan who wants to do it, not Alec. As their mutual friend Noah puts it : “Me?” Noah pressed his hand to his chest. “I wouldn’t miss this fake-homo show for all the Gucci shoes on Rodeo Drive. Besides, once Dylan Booth gets an idea in his head, the threat of hell and high water pants won’t change his mind. Hetero or not, he’ll make a fabulous backup boyfriend.”

But soon the 'backup boyfriend' turns into a real friend and then more.
The sex is hot and despite what I thought, Dylan has no problem sleeping with Alec.
He doesn't worry about his 'manliness' or question his sexuality at all. It is as it is. I found that very refreshing.
“What does that even mean?” Agitated, Dylan strode a few steps away before turning to pace back. “Fifty percent gay? Fifty percent straight? Can I be ninety percent of one? Ten percent of another? I’m not part this or part that. I’m just me.” He came to a halt in front of Alec. “A hundred percent whole me.”

Dylan doesn't do relationships, even if deep inside he desperately needs and wants one. He is such a caring and good man, it's a shame he doesn't see it. He's a little dense and a little stubborn. He makes it so much harder on himself and on Alec than it needs to be, but those glimpses of his feelings and his heart really did make me forgive anything.
And Alec has his own issues and although they aren't as obvious as Dylan's.
I loved watching these two men fall for each other, even if there are some very serious issues touched on in this book, but it never felt dark or depressing.
I loved that Tyler, the ex, isn't an asshat, he's actually a good guy too and their friend Noah is hilarious and I really can't wait for his story.

I think this was a great story, I really enjoyed it and read it in one sitting, definitely recommended. The epilogue was definitely worthy of a big happy sigh.